Monday, November 23, 2009

First day at work AGAIN!

It's Monday again. And I'm wondering whether if I wanna get up. It's been 6 months since I stop working to continue my studies after my suspension in November 2008. I have finished my final examination for Anatomy & Physiology (1) recently and manage to pass with a passing rate. So now I'm back to work as a part-time runner or we call it PCA (Patient Care Assistant).

So, Grandma woke me up at 5.30am for work. I was so lazy and dread for almost 15minutes before I finally got out of the bed and head to the bathroom for a shower. I was simply so lazy.

By 6am, I'm ready and Grandma made me a cup of Milo (sort of chocolate drink) and heated up a vegetarian 'pao' for me. So, I finished my so-called breakfast and waited for Auntie Ju and Auntie Louisa to fetch me to work.

I reach the office by 6.30am which is suppose to be the case as the nurses passes their reports at 6.45am and work starts at 7am. Today, I'm working in Medical 1B with the RN in-charge, Sherry D. She's a very nice lady currently doing her Degree. Alisya S, Yean Yean and Felicia was there too along with 2 other AN's - Suja and Sares. The RN's does their duty using a Primary Nursing where each of them are assign to certain patients and they have to make sure of their patients' needs. While the AN's help out with the vital signs, bed bath and etc. Nurul the clerk was there too and she came in at 8am because she works on office hour duty from 8am to 5am.

My job as a PCA... to check patients jug, hot water flask and refill it for them with hot/warm water if needed. Then, if there's any patient who needs to go to the clinic to see their respective doctors, or for certain procedures (like endoscopy, colonoscopy, x-rays, CT scans and etc.), I'll wheel them in a wheelchair, or walk them or even put them on a strecther if needed before bringing them to their respective places where they should be. Besides there, I'll be sending pharmacy medication orders for patients medication or for discharge medications and as well as sending a few papers regarding the bill of the patient to the PBO (Patient Business Office) for their bill settlement before a patient discharge. A PCA is also required to help out for bed bath, bed-making or accompanying patient to the lobby during discharge.

That's my job as a PCA. And today, I'd say its kinda bored but I learn some other things that I never knew. Thank you to all the staff that I've work with today and looking forward to another day although it was not quite what I thought it should be today. =)

Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment