Tuesday, September 6, 2011

BACK TO WORK, START FRESH!

Holidays are over and it is time to get back to work! Basically, my holidays were fulfilling as I had spend most of my time with my friends whom I had been rejecting their invites a lot due to time constrain for my education comes first at the moment! 


After having so much fun, I was pretty blurry getting back to clinical. First of all, it is due to too much of rest and I am lacking off on my skills. Thank God, my most important skill of communication still maintains. *sigh of relieve*
We are currently assigned with 4 patients as we are now the final year of nursing students - what I mean is Year 3 Diploma Nursing students. Having 4 patients is definitely something new as we used to only have 2 assigned patients.

It is of much more responsibilities and time to learn to manage our time. It wasn't an easy task though. Moreover, we are now on full shift as well which means 7am to 3pm (morning shift) OR 3pm to 11pm (afternoon shift)... oh, please bear in mind - we have to arrive at least 30mins before the start of shift to receive the pass over report.



Although I had been working on these kind of shifts before, it felt different. What's the difference then? It is definitely a new experience for me of course. I used to do what a Patient Care Assistant (PCA) does - [eg. changing diaper, sending slips to the pharmacy, help in taking vital signs]. However, now that I am actually studying in Nursing, it isn't just as simple as what you might think it is.


Nursing basically covers everything from changing diaper to assisting doctors in procedures. Nurses don't just take vital signs then sit down at the nursing station to do their documentation. Nurses don't dish out the medication and serve the patient their medications as ordered. They also monitor what are the outcome and reactions the patient has towards the medication. 


I have learnt that nursing isn't easy. It is so different from any other field. I now finally understand why people always have this saying, "Nursing is a very noble job, you will NEVER REGRET being a part of it".

Never thought that I would have survive in Nursing since it beginning, well, here I am now doing my final year. It was bumpy throughout the way but I realise that, this might have been what I wanted.





FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE
The Lady with Lamp


Nursing is an art:  and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit?  It is one of the Fine Arts:  I had almost said, the finest of Fine Arts.  ~Florence Nightingale

No comments:

Post a Comment